Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Whistle-blowers needed in NBA

Maybe it’s because the Memphis-Kansas matchup seems like ages ago. Or perhaps I’ve become so enthralled with the CP3 vs. Kobe debates and the reemergence of the Celtics that I simply forgot.

Well, last weekend I was reminded why college basketball is vastly superior to the product of the NBA.

It’s not because the guys that get paid play isolation basketball or play defense only every once in a while. It’s simply because every time Lebron James, Chris Paul, or Paul Pierce drove to the lane in Round 2, the sequence went something like this: Hop. Skip. Contact. Whistle. Jump. Extra step. Bucket. And-one.

Last time I checked, anything over two steps is a travel. Oh, and the continuation rule is a downright joke.

I was watching Game 7 of the Celtics-Cavs series Sunday with my friend Drew, who had the same opinion as me.

“LeBron is ruining the game,” he said to me after The King converted a four-step three-point play.

Close, but not exactly. I blame the referees. And David Stern for not being, well, stern.

It’s the refs’ fault for allowing James and friends to get away with basketball murder night-in and night-out. Baseball is a mess, but you can’t blame George Steinbrenner for taking advantage of the system and spending the money that Bud Selig allows him to. Just like you can’t blame James.

I understand that today’s NBA athletes can do things that people couldn’t even dream of 30, even 20 years ago. That’s what makes the league so entertaining to watch.

Maybe I’m too old school, but I’m sick of the rules being broken for no apparent reason. The refs need to stop being pansies and blow their whistles when more than two steps are taken.

Also, I’m not sure when this happened, but since when did the NBA become the Italian national soccer team? This whole flopping phenomenon – that perhaps Manu Ginobili brought from Argentina – makes me sick. I hate it in soccer and I hate it even more in the NBA.

Man up, stand your ground, and withstand the contact. Basketball is a physical sport. Deal with it.

Flopping should result in a technical foul. Period.

No comments: