Friday, June 13, 2008

My confessions: Lakers Pierced by No. 34

I’ll be the first to admit it: I was wrong. On many accounts.

Early in last night’s second quarter the Celtics were down 24 points and I had had about enough.

“I don’t know how much more I can take of this,” I said to my friend and fellow Celtics fan Bryan. “We can’t come back from this.”

“Chill, the Lakers almost did in Game 2,” Bryan reminded me – as if I needed a reminder.

“Yeah, but we don’t have a superstar like Kobe Bryant to lead a comeback like that,” I stupidly replied.

That’s where I was wrong.

The first quarter of last evening’s Game 4 made my stomach feel similar to that when I finish a general tso’s dinner combo from Asian Kitchen, complete with suspect grayish meat, greasy fried rice and a couple of under-cooked egg rolls.

Nothing was falling for the Celtics. For a minute, or 24, I thought I was watching the ’06-‘07 Green. Nope, the Amigo’s somehow managed to play like Wally, West and Gomes, en route to a 21-point first quarter deficit.

That’s when my phone rang.

“I guess we’ll hafta win Sunday,” my grandfather sobbed on the other end, as if he hadn’t just left Fenway Park after a beautiful 9-2 Red Sox victory – which he had.

“I know, I know,” I agreed.

Bryan just shook his head.

And then it happened.

With ax in hand, Paul Pierce began to chop. First one leg. Then the other. Then “Timber!” The Lakers insurmountable lead came crashing down, the noise quadrupled due to the silenced, celebrity-filled Staples Center crowd.

Allen and Garnett dominated Odom, Gasol, and Vujacic in the second half. Posey and House hit their shots. But it was The Truth’s performance – on both ends of the floor – down the stretch against Kobe that fueled the Celtic comeback.

“Gimme that,” Pierce said as he ripped the MVP trophy away from Kobe last night. “I’m the superstar.”

And he was, or is, now in my mind. Kobe was everything but.

My roommate Mahoney – the biggest Chicago sports (Michael Jordan – what else do they have to root for?) fan I know – and I had the whole Kobe vs. MJ debate a few weeks ago. I claimed that if His Airness is 1, then Kobe is 1a.

Mahoney loudly disagreed, arguing that Kobe is a distant 2.

Well, Mahoney, don’t get used to this, but you were right. Kobe is looking up at Michael from a much shorter podium.

And it showed last night. Paul Pierce was the best player on the floor. Jordan wouldn't have blown that lead.

So, Bryan and Mahoney, here it is in print: You guys were right, and I was wrong. Kobe is still MJ’s tutee and the Celtics are now one win away from banner No. 17. Oh, Bryan, Sasha Vujacic isn’t a terrible defender either, I was wrong about that, too.

God that feels awful.

Here are a couple more thoughts on The Finals I’ve been bottling up inside for a few days. In no particular order…

If Luke’s last name wasn’t Walton, would he even be in the NBA?

Nobody mentioned this, but much of Leon’s Powe-riffic (eh, I tried) performance in Game 2 came while being guarded by the hippie’s son. He can’t play defense and he is a liability on offense. Why is he getting minutes in The NBA Finals again? I’d love to see a one-on-one game: Luke vs. Brian Scalabrine. I’ll take the red-headed wonder at 2:1.

Doc Rivers isn’t an idiot, like we all thought in Boston

However, had he put Sam Cassell in one more time instead of Eddie House, I was personally going to fly home, grab a Bic razor, screw up his fresh lineup, then douse his fly, blue suit in tomato sauce and red wine. But, he finally figured it out. House is the spark the C’s team needed off the bench on the road. Rivers went small late last night, beat L.A.’s traps, and out-coached the Zen Master himself. That’s why he’ll be wearing a ring next week and Phil will still have one empty finger.

If KG ever developed an up-and-under move, he might be the best player ever

Seriously, he fades away on every shot. Imagine him actually going to the rim from the post. Scary.

Why does home court advantage matter so much?

I understand it’s significance. I understand home cooking and crowd energy. But the rim is still ten feet from the floor in Boston and L.A. How come Garnett (in the first six quarters in Lala Land) couldn’t hit the jumper from just inside the arc he hits 80 percent of the time at home and Kobe actually took it to the rim before the fourth quarter? Basketball at home should be basketball on the road. Why do teams look completely different in different venues against the same opponents? I guess it’s beyond me.

David Stern needs new refs

Forget what Tim Donaghy said the other day about the 2002 playoffs. I’m talking about now. The refs’ Game 2 blunders were fully made up in Game 3. The crowds shouldn’t influence calls that much. But they do, which is a pretty big problem.

If I hear the term "X-factor" one more time, I'm going to puke

Every player not named Bryant, Pierce, Allen, or Garnett is not necessary an X-Factor. Enough with the clichés.

Kobe is such a cry baby

He whines at his teammates and complains about every call. How fitting for the league's MVP.

Paul Pierce has become a five-tooled superstar

One. More. Game.

No comments: