Monday, July 7, 2008

Federer, Nadal play one for the ages

As the Olympic torch continues its journey through China, Roger Federer did some torch passing of his own yesterday.

But, unfortunately for the Swiss superstar, his version was unintended. In fact, Federer’s torch wasn’t passed down at all. It was simply snatched in a five-set marathon match by Spaniard Rafael Nadal.

Federer has been ranked No. 1 in the tennis world for what seems to be an eternity. And although he remains as such, yesterday’s defeat may very well have marked the beginning of the end of the Reign of Federer.

In my mind – and I know I’m not alone – Nadal now wears the proverbial target on his back. After defeating Federer consecutively in the French Open and now at Wimbledon – virtually Federer’s home court, as he had won the previous five championships there – the Spanish southpaw is on top of the tennis universe at age 22.

And deservedly so.

As promised, I woke up at eight yesterday morning for a healthy serving of Breakfast at Wimbledon. I didn’t anticipate having lunch and dinner as part of the routine as well, but I’m glad I did. Yesterday’s final was as advertised.

And so much more.

Nadal took the first two sets with relative ease (6-4, 6-4), including winning the final four games of the second set after trailing 2-4. It looked as if the lefty (hey, at least one lefty can compete with No. 1, right Phil?) was going to give us an encore performance of the French, when he took down FedExpress in straight sets.

Switzerland’s Finest had other plans.

Federer won the next two sets in dramatic, tiebreak fashion, forcing, yup, you guessed it: A winner-take-all fifth set.

When Federer won the fourth set, knotting the match at two sets apiece, I got the same feeling I did not long ago during golf’s U.S. Open. As Tiger approached 18 needing a birdie, I just knew his Nike ball was going to find the bottom of the cup.

And I knew Federer, after clawing his way back, was going to find a way to win in five.

But, if you’ve read any variety of my previous posts, you’re well aware that I’m not exactly Nostradamus.

Yesterday proved to be no different.

Nadal won the set 9-7 (there are no tiebreakers in the fifth set at Wimbledon) and when Federer’s final shot found the turf-less net, Rafa, after playing off-and-on through rain delays for over seven total hours, collapsed to the grass in exhaustion, having just defeated the best tennis player in the world.

If you can’t appreciate that, then you simply don’t belong watching sports. Two great athletes battling it out in front of the world, representing not only themselves, but their countries and the sport of tennis as a whole, a sport fans should appreciate more.

Tennis is not only a game of amazing skill; it’s a game of incredible endurance and athleticism. Federer and Nadal are two of the most well-conditioned athletes in sports today. And if you enjoy Sportscenter’s Top 10 as much as I do, you should enjoy watching these two play.

Crushing serves, unthinkable returns, amazing volleys, and pinpoint ground strokes were just a few of the ingredients present in yesterday’s historical recipe. Like when I watch Tiger, yesterday I jumped out of my seat and even screamed like a little girl at times in utter disbelief.

I was watching a masterpiece.

Baseball has steroids. NBA players don’t play defense during the regular season. No one can even hold a candle to Tiger. And the No Fun League (or National Felon League, whichever you prefer) is exactly that.

Tennis, well, I can’t seem to find a current flaw. And I think these two have something to do with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your profile picture.